Monday 15 January 2018

Classics TBR for 2018


The Beginning of my Pride and Prejudice collection
 Back when I was studying in undergrad (as an English Lit. Minor), I read so many wonderful classics and discovered so many favourites through reading them - I discovered Evelina by Fanny Burney, the magic of the Bronte sisters, and of course, my all-consuming love of Shakespeare. My favourite book of all time is the classic novel Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - the above photo is just a glimpse at my collection of editions started a few years ago, which has only grown since.

However I noticed last year, in my year-end reviews, that I picked up less classics to read than I had in previous years, and I wanted that to change - I own so many wonderful classic novels (in so many beautiful editions) that I need to read! So as part of my bookish resolutions for 2018, I wrote that I wanted to read more classics in 2018 - specifically, I want to read one classic a month. I thought making a list of the classics I'm hoping to get to in 2018 might be a helpful way to try and keep me on track. You will notice that there are more than twelve books listed, and this is because I don't want to limit myself to just one classic a month - if I read more than one a month I will be thrilled.


1. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - this is the only Jane Austen book that I have yet to read. I have a goal to finish all of Jane Austen's works so I really need to try and get to this book already!


2. Emma by Jane Austen - I read Emma years ago, and I would really like to re-read it because I think I may appreciate it more now than I did when I was 15.


3. Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie - I've been really interested in giving more children's classics a try after re-reading and absolutely adoring Anne of Green Gables  last year. I discovered that Jim Dale (narrator of the Harry Potter books) narrates the audiobook of Peter Pan so I am hoping to listen to that soon since it seems like a quick read/listen.


4. Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery - I re-read Anne of Green Gables last year and it was such a delightful re-read because I ended up loving it this time around. I immediately went and picked up the next two books in the Anne series, and I hope to continue them in the coming year!


5. Dubliners by James Joyce - I've already started this in 2017 and I hope to finish it in 2018. I would like to read more short stories and thought perhaps this famous collection would help break me into them - so far it has been dense and a bit confusing but quite interesting.


6. The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame - as I mentioned above I want to read more children's classics this year. I got this version as a "Kindle in Motion" - so that I can listen to it and immerse myself in the experience on my tablet.


7. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - I've seen the movie of this so I have already been spoiled for the plot, but I would really love to read this coming-of-age story about sisters. Everyone who loves Jane Austen seems to equally love Little Women, so I am really hoping to discover a new favourite when I read this.


8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy - Tolstoy has been on my TBR for years but I am so intimidated by the sheer size and complexity of his books that I never pick them up. But this is the year! I have been dying to read this tragic story and I own a beautiful Vintage Classics editions - so I just really need to get to it already.


9. The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett - yet another children's classic that I hope to read in 2018. Much like Anne of Green Gables I read The Secret Garden when I was much younger and absolutely despised it. I am hoping that like Anne I will re-disocver the book this year and love it much more than my eight year old self did.


10. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien - I have tried to read The Hobbit SO MANY TIMES. I love the LOTR Movies but I have never been able to get into any of the books (I know, I know it's so bad). I've decided to give it a try on audiobook and hopefully discover the magic of Tolkien's world in a new way.


11. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - more Russian literature that I've been told I have to read but that I've been putting off for ages.


12. Island of Doctor Moreau by H.G. Wells - I love the Madman's Daughter series by Megan Shepherd, and the first book is based off this novel. It piqued my interest enough that I've decided to read this lesser-known classic.


13. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells - This is one of my father's favourite books, and it's such a short read that I'm sure it'll be no problem to get through.


14. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux - What can I say? I like the musical.


15. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - I've never finished A Tale of Two Cities, though I keep trying, and I hope this year will be the one I finish it!


No comments:

Post a Comment